Monday, July 5, 2010

The UK And All It Has To Offer Pt 1


I'm starting with the United Kingdom for my first country to feature here on my blog. (I love the irony of featuring the United Kingdom the day after my own country celebrated their Independence from them!) I visited London, myself, in October of 2008 and fell in love. The architecture, the art, the people, everything. My fascination has only grown since.

Here is a few facts about the U.K. (source: CIA - The World Fact Book)

* What's in a name:
conventional long form: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; note - Great Britain includes England, Scotland, and Wales
conventional short form: United Kingdom
abbreviation: UK

* Location: Western Europe, islands including the northern one-sixth of the island of Ireland between the North Atlantic Ocean and the North Sea, northwest of France

* Area Comparative: slightly smaller than the U.S. state of Oregon

* Population: 61,284,806

* Languages: English, Welsh (about 26% of the population of Wales), Scottish form of Gaelic (about 60,000 in Scotland)

* Government Types: constitutional monarchy and Commonwealth realm




Make sure to stay tuned for more information about the U.K. as well as featured Etsy artists from this country!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Thanks for choosing to feature our country as part of your Etsy Artists From Around The Globe series ;-)

    ReplyDelete